Thursday, October 1, 2009

Read 'n' Seed 1: The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight



The title of the book I chose is called "The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight: The Fate of the World and what We Can Do Before it's Too Late".  It's written by a man named Thom Hartmann.

The first part of the book is pretty much describing the current crisis earth (and therefore all of humanity) is in.  He especially focuses on the world's oil supply crisis.  Once we are out of oil this will lead to many other crises including famine, water shortages, and war.  After he illustrates our present state of affairs and gives an extremely gloomy look into our future, he offers suggestions for change.  After all, would good would terrifying the reader with all of this "world is about to end" stuff if there was no way to improve our circumstances?  To put it simply, Thom tells us that we have to change the way we relate to earth, we have to change the way we relate to others, but most importantly, we have to change the way we think.   

I chose this book because I'm pretty much in the dark when it comes to our oil crisis.  I've always thought of it as something someone way more qualified than me would find the solution too.  Until that someone told me what to do, I was just going to keep living like I was living.  I realize this is a terrible mindset.  I want to be more proactive.  Out of all of the choices, I think this book will make the biggest impact on my life. 
 
Check out these sites to learn more about this book:
1. Author's Website
2. Book Review
3. Book Review

There are 358 pages of reading in this book divided amongst 38 chapters that vary in length.  The book is also sectioned into 3 parts.  I think I'm just going to separate my reading into 4 big chunks over the 4 quarters, just to make it even.    Can't wait to start reading!

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds great, especially when it comes to helping you be more proactive, I know I chose my book to help give me a boost as well. Sometimes we make goals, but we need reminders of why were doing what were doing! I hope this makes sense the way I put it :) Good overview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like we are all kind of reading books to put things in a new perspective... I will be excited to read you Read n Seeds and see what you are learning. I feel like we are all going to be a little shocked.

    ReplyDelete