Friday, December 4, 2009

Reflection: Weeks 11 & 12

Another two weeks has flown by and It's already the end of the semester!  With each class I'm feeling more informed and more prepared to be an environmentally friendly steward!

Week 11 was really informative.  We started class by defining environmental literacy, health, and one other word that I nor anyone else can seem to remember (sorry Dr. V!).  It was hard to define because our definitions had to be at the reading level of a ten year old.  I really had no idea how difficult that was, you would think it would make it easier!  That was honestly the most challenging part, that and revising other groups definitions.  Next we watched "The Story of Stuff".  This mini documentary described exactly where all our stuff comes from (like the resources needed to mine, manufacture, produce, and deliver the goods).  This was probably what stuck with me the most from the past two weeks.  I can't believe how corrupt many company's are.  How can they make products that are meant to break so you have to buy new ones?! I am PISSED! When will the earth become more important that making a profit.  It also sucks that although America only consists of 5% of the population we use 30% of the resources.  Does anyone else feel that stat is a little unbalanced?  Lastly we did JUNKING!!!!! How cool was that?! We looked at these 5 items that seemed to have no purpose and came up with different ways they could be used.  I don't think I've laughed that hard in a class since high school.  I think personally, finding a purpose for an object isn't the problem, but actually making your ideas into a reality.  It's one of those "oh, I use it when I have more time" or "I'll make it into a gift then the occasion rolls around".  Anyway, junking is gonna be a new hobby for me for sure!

Week 12 was a little more toned down I'd say.  We learned how to use blog hops, which are pretty applicable to many blogging situations!  In our class's case we used the blog hop to show off our PHOTO ESSAYS!  I really enjoyed doing my photo essay.  My friend from Korea has to go back after she graduates college in December because her Visa is up and Grand Forks has been her home and I've been her family for 9 years.  We even had our graduation parties together!  I took her around with me when I was on my "Green-Tour" and so I got homework done and she got to tour her home one last time.  It was a really good for both of us.  On a lighter note, it was really great to see everyone's photo essays.  Way cool!  Lastly, we talked about writing our advocacy letter.  I'm not gonna lie, it's kind of a step backwards after doing something cool like photo essays, but I understand that it's important.   We'll see how it goes!


My family! Me, Mom, In Young, Dad, Sister, Baby!

Can't wait for our next 2 (and last 2) classes together!

2 comments:

  1. I agree the photo essays were awesome, and I can't believe the semester is already over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! it went by so fast, cute picture by the way!

    ReplyDelete